Saturday, January 17, 2009

I'm Back

Well, it's been a very long time. Call it a 3 1/2 year old, or 23 private students, or two orchestras, or (more recently) 2 months of acute bronchitis (little Maggie) and walking pneumonia (Adrienne and myself). Or call it laziness or whatever. But the past is the past and can't be changed, but the present and the future is ours (very ancient Kabbalah teaching!). So I'll try to be a good little monkey (oh oh, too much Curious George with Maggie) and stay more current.

We're a bit worried about our wedding this afternoon. Even here is Florida the temperature went down into the low 20s last night and isn't a whole lot warmer now. So, of course, our wedding is outdoors! We'll see what happens. We're playing at Jumbolair in Ocala. It's the "fly your jet to your front door" place in these parts and is the primary home of John Travola. But he doesn't come to weddings, especially now when he's dealing with so much. I knew him to chat and have lunch with at the very beginning of his career when he played the Gene Krupa role in "Over Here" with the Andrews Sisters on Broadway. My big brother Joe was music director for that show (ran for a year until the Sisters got bored with the Broadway routine) and I got to hobnob with the cast, all unknowns at the time. I also got to know Treat Williams (Prince of the City and other biggies) and Ann Reinking among others. Great fun. Meanwhile, I'll let you know if our fingers survive the wedding.

Our studio (Cello Power) is having it's annual student recital a week from tomorrow (January 25th) so we're busy gearing up for that. The program runs the gamut from Twinkle to Harmageddon by Apocolyptica (heavy metal for 4 cellos). Adrienne and I will play that with two students. Wonderful fun. (Apocalyptica is totally wonderful, by the way, in case you haven't heard them.

As stated above, I'll really try to stay regular on these posting. Respond if you'd like. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: